How To Handle Ohio Accident Insurance Claims
Some insurance companies boast about how easy it is for their customers to get a policy payout after a car accident. If you've suffered no injuries and have no concerns except property damage, then things might go smoothly for you - just like the commercials say.
However, when injuries are involved your dealings with the insurance company can significantly influence the amount of compensation you receive. That's why it's important to bring a skilled Ohio auto accident lawyer into the mix. Insurance claim reps are trained negotiators and it's in their best interest to minimize their company's payout to you.
Here are some basic rules for dealing with insurance companies after a car accident. We also have a page discussing steps to take after an accident.
- Contact an attorney before accepting any offers.
- Review your insurance policy to understand what's covered.
- Immediately notify your insurance company about your car accident.
- Take photos or video of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Keep a record of your conversations with the insurance company, including the names of people you spoke with.
- Be truthful with the insurance company, but remember that you always have the right to speak with your attorney.
- Keep receipts of all expenses you've incurred from the accident.
- Don't estimate the value of your injuries and expenses without speaking to an experienced personal injury attorney, or you'll likely shortchange yourself. The same goes for any estimated claim value the insurer sends you.
- Do not give the insurance company a statement until you've discussed the accident with your lawyer and established how you will proceed.
- Do not sign a release or waiver before speaking with your lawyer. Also, don't accept money from the insurance company unless it constitutes the full amount of compensation you've discussed with your attorney.
Remember, the insurance company represents its own interests - not yours. A skilled Ohio vehicle accident lawyer does represent your interests and can help you navigate the pitfalls and uncertainties of dealing with car accident insurance claims.
For more information about auto accidents visit our auto accident information center.
Contact The Donahey Law Firm, LLC, to arrange a free consultation with an experienced Ohio auto accident attorney. Email us or call 866-918-5886. We can help.