The Donahey Law Firm

Our Blog

2 minutes read

Drunk driver guilty in death of police officer


A 45-year-old male motorist has admitted to being intoxicated when his vehicle interfered with a police car, causing the death of a 32-year-old Willoughby, Ohio, police officer. The car accident occurred last September. The prosecutor stated the motorist had consumed a number of alcoholic beverages before getting behind the wheel. The officer was on duty, and responding to a call at the time of the crash.

The emergency lights on the police vehicle were activated at the time of the accident, a detail confirmed by a video taken by a dash cam in the car. The intoxicated driver’s pickup truck went right in front of the officer’s car, forcing it to swerve to attempt to avoid a certain collision. As a result of this, the police car hit a nearby tree and the officer suffered fatal injuries.

As in many

Ohio car accidents

, the driver pleaded guilty to the main charges, while some additional charges were dropped. These included aggravated vehicular homicide charges and child endangerment, based on the fact that two children were in the driver’s pickup truck at the time of the accident.

At the time of the crash, the driver’s blood alcohol level tested at almost double the allowable legal level, or .149. The driver faces a possible sentence that could be anything from probation to incarceration for five and a half years. The officer who died is survived by both his wife and a three-year-old daughter.

In such cases, a wrongful death lawsuit can be brought on behalf of the surviving family to make the responsible reckless motorist pay medical and funeral expenses, as well as damages for pain and suffering, lost income and other consequences of officer’s death. An experienced personal injury attorney should be consulted as soon as possible when such a tragedy occurs.

Fox8 Cleveland, “Man Admits Guilt in Drunk Driving Crash That Killed Officer” Kevin Freeman, Jul. 15, 2013

Recent Posts

Contact Us Today!
You need help? Fill out the form, describe your case
and arrange an initial, free consultation.